Cold Bath Road
A spring of remarkably cold and pure water, Cold Bath was used in the 18th century for bathing and the relief of sore eyes. Sometimes known as St Magnus or St Mungo’s Well, it was made a ‘common watering place’ by the Great Award of 1778. The 1837 bathing house was demolished in 1974.
Today, Cold Bath Road contains an attractive mixture of interesting shops, cafes, restaurants and private businesses, many of them housed in handsome buildings of the Georgian and Victorian eras.