Prospect Square was developed between 1859 and 1880 on land once owned by the Capter family. Cambridge Crescent (N) of 1867-8 and Prospect Crescent (E) of 1873-80 were built by George Dawson and designed by J.H. Hirst, who also designed St Peter’s Church (NE) of 1870-6, although the tower was added in 1926.
The Prospect Hotel of 1859 was given a tower and enlarged in 1870. Further rebuilding in 1937 permitted the widening of James Street. The war memorial was built in 1922-3 to a design by local company Prestwich & Sons.