Harrogate’s Valley Gardens grew from attempts to beautify the footpath that ran between the Old Sulphur Well and the other mineral wells on the so-called ‘Bogs Field’. In 1858, a gothic styled Pump Room was built to dispense the waters of the Magnesia Well, and the increased visitor numbers led to the authorities adding more open land to the gardens. In 1886, David Simpson submitted a plan for the improvement of the area, which so impressed the Council that they launched a competition in which the Simpson scheme was awarded second prize. Later, many of his suggestions were adopted. A New Magnesia Well Pump Room (today the cafe) and bandstand were added in 1895, and during the 1920’s, the boating pool and tennis courts were opened. These were followed in 1933 with the Sun Colonnade and Pavilion. More recent additions include a delightful play area for children and an adjoining skate-board area for teens. The Elgar Walk, named to mark the visits to Harrogate made by the english composer Sir Edward Elgar before 1927, follows the stream from the gardens’ entrance to the New Magnesia Well Cafe. Beyond the gardens can be found the extensive Pine Woods, which in turn lead to the spectacular gardens of the Royal Horticultural Society at Harlow Carr.