The Duchy Estate
The land on which the Duchy Estate was developed had been granted to the King in 1778, following the Great Award which divided up the former Royal Forest into lots. Administered by the Duchy of Lancaster, the first significant building leases were granted to David Simpson in 1889, who over the next forty years went on to develop the greater part of the estate with high quality villas in Victorian, Edwardian, Arts and Craft, and post Great War-domestic styles.
The Duchy Estate’s great Anglican Church of St. Wilfrids was designed by Temple Moore. The nave and baptistery were dedicated in 1908, and the Church completed in 1935 when the Lady Chapel behind the High Altar was dedicated by the Archbishop of York.