Harrogate Corporation’s 1898 competition for the design of a Kursaal or ‘Cure Hall’ was won by London architect Robert Beale, who worked with Frank Matcham, England’s most celebrated theatrical designer.
The Kursaal was opened by Sir Hubert Parry on 28th May 1903 and is the only remaining building of its type in the country. Intended to complement the town’s other spa facilities, the Kursaal contained many innovations that provided great flexibility of use. Re-named the ‘Royal Hall’ in 1918, the building has been host to great artists of the day - from Sir Edward Elgar to the Beatles. Following a complete restoration from 2006-08, Matcham’s spectacular interior now contains more gold leaf than any similar auditorium in England.
The much-loved building was re-opened by HRH The Prince of Wales, Patron of the Royal Hall Restoration Trust, on 22nd January 2008.